TopBand: Splitting Beverage antenna output

N6DX@aol.com N6DX@aol.com
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 10:11:36 -0400

Dave,
Most of our Beverages are over 1000' long but they perform well even up to 30
Meters.  Also, since we usually have more than one operator on a band we
split our Beverages into four sets of outputs in the shack.  Conventional
wisdom suggests that a preamp before the splitter would be best.  However,
any saturation or nonlinearity will paralyse reception during transmission.
 We split the raw signal and put a tunable preamp at the output of each
antenna selector switch.  The easiest and cheapest splitter is a standard TV
coaxial splitter even they are not designed for 1.8 MHz.  We put an ICE
broadcast filter before the splitter.  Hope this is helpful. 73
Darrell, N6DX@aol.com