TopBand: 4 Square vs Beverage +Inv. Vee

K3BU K3BU@aol.com
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 20:56:28 EST

At VE1ZZ's place Beverages almost always outplay 4 Square Ls. Jack's 4sq. is
not very symetrical or leveled, but it exhibits directivity (NE, S, SW, NW)
NE Beverage is "terminated" by stainless steel hubcap in the salt water. Euros
are being heard around 3 p.m. CQing in my face until about 6:30 p.m.
And yes Tom, high angle radiator - Inv Vee beat the 4 square by about 1.5
hours. So it is higher angle, I did not have chart recorders nor white coat,
but bunch of  premature Euros in the log. Just too bad that second night Euro
shop was closed (wiped out) by Aurora, so I came a bit short. Now I have some
ideas for the next generation radiator.
I highly recommend having full size low inverted Vee in the arsenal, it can
open the band, contrary to "conventional wisdom".
My compliments to the father of Inverted Vee - Ken Glanzer, K7GCO who has not
been given credit for this most popular and very effective antenna!
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to all 160 noise lovers!

Yuri Blanarovich, K3BU, VE3BMV, P40A