TopBand: CONDX?

SCOTT LONG k8sm@hotmail.com
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 07:28:06 PST

Here at my QTH about 35 miles west of Columbus Ohio I have been noticing
a change in band condx.  It seems though condx at my sunset has been
staying about the same. I am hearing England, Germany, Italy and that
area, then about 20 minutes after sunset signals begin to fade.  Around
0300-0400 signals then begin to pick up again and they normally have
been hanging in there until about 0600 (latest I've been up).  I am
running a low profile 160 station I guess you would say, Inverted-L
(vertical is 85 ft), no rx antennas here.  The condx from day to day is
what really catches my interest on this band, it seems to be full of
surprises.

Below is a report from NOAA that I am wondering how this will change
condx on 160 over the next few days.  Maybe some of you more experienced
ones can comment.

Happy Holidays,
73, Scott, K8SM

# Prepared by the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, Space Environment Center
# For a descriptive text, write to SEC or refer to our Web page.
# Web page URL:  http://www.sec.noaa.gov/wwire.html
#
#                   Space Weather Alert
#
 Stratwarm Alert exists Stratwarm Monday
Comment: stratwarm alert/Monday/ stratwarm exists.
An intense warming exists over siberia, alaska and the adjacent polar
region with a temerature increase of more than 35 dgs c during a week
over north siberia and the adjacent arctic. Temperature gradient
reversed between 60n and the jpole at 10hpa and above in the upper
stratosphere.