TopBand: Re: Why the duct?

Frank Donovan donovanf@sgate.com
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 13:32:51 -0400 (EDT)

Tom,

In MD, the  O N L Y time we can work JAs on 160 is from a few minutes
before sunrise until ten minutes after or so.  The typical scenario is
that we hear the W1/2 stations working them easily, and we hear just a
trace of the loudest JA stations.  When sunrise approaches, the JAs build
up from 10-30 dB, then gradually fade away starting 10 minutes after
sunrise.  If Ole Sol doesn't show more activity soon, we may have another
good 160 season to JA this December/January.

Anyone who has been a DXer for long has surely experienced long distance
propagation (over 10,000 km) with unusually strong signals.  In fact a 340
page book was written by on this topic by two members of the Academy of
Sciences of the USSR:

"Long Distance Propagation of HF Radio Waves"
Dr. Alexsandr V. Gurevich and Dr. Elena E. Tsedilina
published by Springer-Verlag 1985
ISBN 3-540-15139-7
ISBN 0-387-15139-7
QC801.P46

To quote the preface: "Due to the Earth's sphericity and stratified
structure of the ionosphere, waveguide channels (ducts) appear in which
radio waves propagate over long distances.  These ducts have a complicated
structure, they are inhomogenious, interrelated, and vary with time
variations in the ionosphere.  To understand the main features of
long-distance propagation, it is necessary to study the properties of the
waveguide channels.  The interlayer duct is of particular interest."

73
Frank
W3LPL
donovanf@sgate.com