TopBand: Guernsey report Fri/Sat night

Mike Sloan gu3whn@guernsey.net
Sat, 01 Nov 1997 09:38:54 +0000

Arrived home from the local Radio Club last evening and gave 160 a
listen.

OH working 9M2AX but could not hear my old stamping ground.

Band very good here and worked VE1ZZ and W2JB around 2230z in almost
perfect conditions.  Called and called but no further replies.

Came back into the shack around 0250z.  Managed N4XX, TF3TF, VE3WT,
K8ND, K1YT, W3BGN and K3SX.

Calls sounded in their hundreds but probably about ten!

Unfortunately the band dropped right out on me at 0330z and I suspect
that I had missed the best.

A SL called the TF3 station after I had signed with him and had a
p  r  o  t   r  a  c  t  e  d  QSO with him at 599 PLUS, just at the
time conditions were at their peak, and I lost many contacts.  A few
polite "Pse QSY's" eventually moved him but if it happens again I will
drop down one or two Kc/s so as not to spoil the fun.  Guess he could
not hear me.

Gave good reports to whom I believe were AD6C and N9US and, despite some
kind help from a station Stateside, regret that the QSB was so deep that
after a number of attempts to raise them I did not record any response.

Just love a rag chew but you all know that DX openings on 160 for GU do
not seem to be the place. Will always try to give station the RST and
then repeat the callsign before BK.  Will next hopefully QSL my RST with
calling station's callsign and then SK.

Please do not think me rude but it seems that I will be able to work
more that way and avoid too much confusion.  Any other suggestions very
welcome as I am numerous years out of date!  Hope to hear a DXpedition
one day to see how they cope.  Hi!

Final comment.  Thank you to those who have gone to the time, trouble
and expense of getting hold of UK stamps.  They don't work here but I do
return them.

Kind regards es Best 73

Mike