TopBand: Not hearing, one way propagation.

Bill Hohnstein k0ha@navix.net
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 22:42:18 -0800

w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net wrote:

> Remember the noise level and QRM at the other end means an awful lot
> on low bands...

I'm not a propagation guru and don't want to speak for those that are,
but I have heard explanations that part of this phenomenon is due to
propagation characteristics (more problems originating the signal
into the sun than in the signal arriving from a dark area into
sunlight).  Not being able to defend that statement from a first
hand basis I don't want to be any more specific than that...
  It's easier to relate to the amount of sun when you're "in the
light" and I can better document my lit QSO's from the sunny end.
In that regard I've had a fair number of QSO's on 160 with one hour
or more of sunlight and receptions with up to 2 hours of sun.
  I felt good about having a short path QSO with Japan this year on
40 just after local noon.  The JA was about the noise level to a dB
or two above it.  Based on the ability of the JA to copy my call and
report I'd say that I was just below the noise level.  So, the
difference is not always that great...

73,  Bill     K0HA