TopBand: 800hz annoying tone discovered

dennis g. peterson N7CKD.ennis@mcleodusa.net
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 22:45:07 -0600

	`Thanks to all of you (some 25 responders) who offered their knowledge and
assistance
to this year long situation of an 800 hz tone appearing on 1840, 1860 and
1820.  1840 being
the strongest.

Well, to make a long story short the problem has been concluded and I must
admit it was by
accident.  I had tried everything, at least I thought I had.  I thought the
culprit was outside and
the fault or problem of our local power company.  WRONG!!!!!!!    I decided
to move some
equipment to make room for some additional gear; and when I turned the
Packet system for
2 meters off, the tone vacated the premises.   When first turning the
packet controller off,
there was no difference, tone still present.   When turning the 2 meter rig
offf that supplies
the heart to the controller, there still was no difference.   But, after
turning off the DUMB
TERMINAL; the tone was gone.  In fact I had to turn it off and on several
times just to
make sure that it was the dumb terminal.

So, all I guess I need to do no if I still want to use the packet system is
to figure out a way
of either isolating or FILTERING the dumb terminal from getting into the
Kenwood TS870.
Anyone with help there?   Thanks again to all who fed me some input.  If
anyone else is
plagued with this type of problem it might pay you to look at your PACKET
system.

73s de N7CKDennis