TopBand: 160M First evening

km1h @ juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 18:55:24 EST

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997 15:39:45 -0500 (EST) Patrick Collins
<pcollins@freenet.columbus.oh.us> writes:
>W8/W9
>seems to have had the worst of the propagation in this contest.  Only
>loud
>stations here were OH's.  QSB was extremely bad.  Did anyone else in
>W8
>notice this?  Went outside to find the qth fogged in.
>
>Funniest thing was listening to W8LRL tell someone that the dx window
>was
>1825-1830!
>
>Has per the W8 comment from km1h (being I seemed to be the only W8
>calling
>most stations!).
>
> If you are refering to me than you
>probably didn't listen long enough to here the dx confirm my call.

How would I know...I dont have any idea what your call is. As far as
listening...believe me I spent plenty of time listening to this
guy...they were never confirmed at that time. Maybe worked again
later...dunno...dont care. The point is he didnt have a clue what was
going on.

>Many
>times the station would come back to me only to have my QSO QRM'd by
>the
>east coast dipole crowd or the QSB/QRN to mask the signal.  I think
>most
>people only log those who confirm the call and I think your last
>comment
>you have jumped to a typical false conclusion.

Touchy, touchy....but I hate to inform you that there were several 8
landers active. So dont get off in a snit...just yet.

  Bring your slinkey's
>to Ohio
>sometime and operate. Then you'd know what it really takes to operate
>topband.

Maybe I could teach you a few things then....that I learned over 25 yrs
ago in Illinois. It requires skill..not just a lot of noise.
BTW, the SNR was much better on the Slinky's last night compared to the
wire Beverages.

Have fun....Carl   KM1H