TopBand: October 11 Aurora

Cvanhoo@hrn.bradley.edu Cvanhoo@hrn.bradley.edu
13 Oct 1997 13:47:38 CST/CDT

 I have been reading with interest the postings about the conditions
Friday night local time in Illinois.

I was tuning thru 10 meters and heard an Aurora sounding K0TT in MN. I
worked him then moved down the band and called cq on 10 and worked a
station in Northern Michigan who said the light display from the Aurora
was fantastic. Since I had never seen Aurora I went outside and was
amazed at the light display here in central Illinois. After calling many
freinds and family to alert them to the display I qsyed to 160 because I
had seen enhanced conditions on 160 before right when the Aurora starts.
S51BO was booming in and I was able to work him with 100 watts to a 1/4
sloper even though there was a big pileup. I don't normally break
pileups on 160 so I was quite surprized when he came back. I was also
hearing other European stations running US but I did not need any of
them so I just kept tuning. The best of the opening was over by 330 gmt
but working s5 for a new one and seeing the Aurora for the first time
made for a Friday night to remember!

73

Chuck
KG9N