TopBand: inv-L vs dip/EWE info (long)

Steve Ireland sire@omen.com.au
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 22:11:30 +0800

Dear all,

I got this great e-mail from Earl, K6SE, with another view of the
inverted-L/dipole discussions and some great info about EWEs and the VP9/VK6
path.  His part of the e-mail should be read first and is more interesting
than my reply.  Enjoy!

73,

Steve, VK6VZ

Dear Earl,

Many thanks for the terrific e-mail.  It was most interesting - I printed it
for further reference.  I have wanted to try a EWE for a long time and
lacked the data, particularly for poor VK-type soil.  At the end of our
summer (February - March) we have a lot of trouble from QRN from the north
and a directional Rx antenna can help substantially.

Most of the time, 160 is relatively quiet and VK SSBers chatting in the CW
DX window are more of a problem than noise here.

I checked my log for the last month or so and until the 4th October, I was
still using my inverted-U dipole, so when you heard me I was probably using
this rather than the inverted-L (which went up on the 3rd October).  Right
through September, I was working a lot of west and mid-west USA stations -
worked Ralph W1ZK in VT for a new state a day or so before the equinox.

It is very interesting to hear comparisons between me and Mike VK6HD.
Usually we are about on a par, but some nights/mornings one of us will seem
to have the edge.  One of the reasons I gave up (at least for now) on
inverted-L antennas (3/8 and 1/4 wave) was that I was nearly always 2 'S'
points down on Mike on Tx into the USA (rather than 2 'S' points up as I was
on the dipole that night when you heard me!)  Into EU it was even worse,
with Mike hearing and working stuff I couldn't hear/work at all.

The crunch came when on one of the first mornings FH/DJ2BW was on, Mike
could hear Herman RST559.  I left the inverted-L up throughout Herman's stay
and although I could tell he was there, I never heard him well enough to
copy, despite a relatively low noise level on a couple of occasions.  On the
dipole, I had previously worked D68DV and heard FH/DF2SS at 559 (although I
could not work him through the EU pile-up), and my feeling was having the
inverted-L rather than the dipole cost me a new country (what would have
been my 98th).

I have limitations in both height, space available for radials and poor
soil.  If I had a couple of acres rather than the 0.5acre here, I would put
up a 80 - 90' vertical, top loaded with 50 - 100 full sized radials, which
even with my poor soil I am sure would kill the dipole on Tx (and Rx when
the band was quiet).

With my site size and soil limitations, it is very, very hard to make an
inverted-L with a 66' vertical and 50 short radials (the northerly ones
running up toward the grey line are only some 30' long) work better than a
inverted-U dipole at 50 - 60' high.  My feeling is that there are a number
of other 160m 'little pistols' in a similar situation.

Kind Regards,

Many 73,

Steve, VK6VZ