TopBand: Fwd: NL7Z Redux

K1ZM K1ZM@aol.com
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 11:27:07 EDT

--part0_891962828_boundary

From: K1ZM <K1ZM@aol.com>
To: topband@contesting.com
Cc: K1ZM@aol.com
Subject: NL7Z Redux
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 17:34:35 EDT

NL7Z - Epilogue

Last week I again worked NL7Z who had a rock-crushing signal just before my
sunrise - this time with none of the delay/echo  that had been observed by me
and others on 3/20/98.

After considerable time and analysis by many, it seems unlikely that the EXACT
cause of the 3/20/98 event can be deduced with certainty.

Briefly:

1) It wasn't LONGPATH
2) It probably wasn't solar disturbance related
3) Stations well outside the auroral ovals did experience it
4) It probably was not observed (by me) as a result of some back lobe off my
antenna  - analysis seems to reject that PLUS others all across the country
observed it ALSO

It MAY have been the result of some scattering region to the Southwest

OR

It was caused by reflections of NL7Z's signal off of Yuri, K3BU's,  CAR
ROOFTOP as he was heading NORTH on his way to operate the CQ WPX SSB Test from
Jack's place up at VE1ZZ!!

(My apologies to my friend Yuri - that was obviously said tongue in cheek!  I
just wanted to add some humor here!)

On a more serious note, though, thanks are due to the following for their
efforts to figure this one out:

NM7M - Bob spent a good deal of time and even called on friends in the
scientific community to ask for additional help.

Cary Oler - who dismissed the LONGPATH (as did NM7M) with rational, sound
analysis to explain why it was all but IMPOSSIBLE.

K9LA and N4XX - who assisted with computer model analysis of the 4 square
array antenna system to ensure that it wasn't playing "tricks" on us that
morning.

Many others who volunteered their observations of the event including NL7Z,
W8JI, K8MFO, WD4JRA and others.

Others who volunteered their analysis and input including VK3IO, W1FV, VE3BMV,
K2WI, KM1H, W4ZV and others.

My point in mentioning those who became INVOLVED is not only to thank them for
their time, but also to note that through this medium of the 160M reflector,
we all at least HAD A CHANCE to bring such TALENT to bear on this event, and
in short order!

Just a few years ago it would, perhaps, have gone unnoticed and passed off as
"oh well" by those who heard it.

Only through a COMBINATION of experienced operator observation AND the
application of the appropriate scientific and physical analysis can we EVER
HOPE to unlock what yet remains to be learned about propagation on 1.8Mhz.

Personally, I appreciate the fact that so many folks elected to get involved
and take a hard look at what occurred.  I am sure others do as well.  Thanks
to all who took the time.

73 Jeff K1ZM@aol.com

--part0_891962828_boundary--