TopBand: Re: Beverage doubts.

Jan-Erik Holm JEH@on.mobile.telia.se
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 07:10:44 GMT+1

>Dave, W0FLS wrote:
>
>"My two 580' beverages don't usually hear any better than my 4 sq on 80.
>However, they significantly out perform my quarter wave elevated vertical
>on 160."
>
>Larry, W0ETC wrote:
>
>"Similar experience here in Iowa.  I put up a 295 foot Beverage and found
>that  95% of the time the 80 meter 4 square is just as good as or better
>than the  Beverage (in it's favored direction) at digging out the week
>ones.  On rare  occasion S/N on beverage allowed better copy.  Maybe this
>proves how gud the 4 square is, or how lousy my Beverage construction
>techniques are, or that 295 ft is just too short for a Beverage to be
>effective."

My experience (from 80 m) is that they need to be at least 1000 ft before
they start to perform, would need to be at least 2000 on 160 then, that is
less then 4 wl long seems to be a waist at least at my latitude with the
angles involved.
If you check the antenna books you will notice that a 1 wl beverage has far
to high waveangle for good DX performance, needs to be 4 wl before it starts
to come down in the 25 degree region.
73 de Jim SM2EKM