TopBand: high angle versus low angle radiators

Charlanne F. Tippett happyheart1@juno.com
Sun, 2 Aug 1998 09:18:21 -0400

On Sun, 02 Aug 1998 04:06:07 -0400 "w8ji.tom" <w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com>
writes:

>Beverages are excellent high angle receiving antennas. They WAN'T to be
>high angle antennas because of their height and wire orientation. Only
>attenuation in the media below the antenna allows them to have ANY low
>angle "vertically" polarized sensitivity.

Tom, I hope it is not wierd science for me to believe a properly working
Beverage
has a much lower takeoff angle (~35 degrees) than a dipole at 1/4
wavelength
(~90 degrees).

>I've noticed Beverage mornings and 4 square mornings, but never any
>"dipole moments" except for what might have been one with one booming
>ZL one morning right at peak.

Does that mean that they do not exist?  Maybe your dipole needs to be
lower
to maximize its takeoff angle at 90 degrees.

It doesn't exactly take rocket science to tell when one antenna is
working
better than another.  Verticals, 4-squares, high dipoles (~1/2
wavelength)
and Beverages are all basically low angle antennas so you are probably
just comparing different types of low angle antennnas.  Why not put
another
dipole at 130 feet and continue your tests...you might be surprised at
the results
of an objective test between low and very high angle radiators over a
reasonable
period of time.  Having used a vertical/Beverage combination versus a
dipole
in Colorado for 8 years, I observed some very "wierd" things over that
timeframe!

						73,  Bill  W4ZV

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]