TopBand: Balloon Full Wave Antenna for 160M

Edward W. Sleight k4sb@mindspring.com
Sat, 01 Aug 1998 14:56:11 -0400

No doubting the enthusiasm of the authors, but the article does give
rise to several interesting points. First, they totally neglected to
initially determine the LC constant of the matching network, and as
such, I cannot reliably determine just how efficient the antenna
was. I have been flying these things since 1968 and they're simple to
do as verticals. Albeit, 250+ feet of wire in the air can be a problem
to manage.

And in keeping with a recent thread, and I admit I didn't even think
of it, the story about the MD80 almost taking their balloon is
significant. As well as approach paths to airports, which do require
notification to the FAA, height of towers, ect, there is another
rather significant maneuver which aircraft occasionally have to
execute, and that is a "missed approach". Usually in Visual Flight
Conditions, it's because another aircraft failed to clear the runway,
or some other obstruction. In these cases, the tower controller may
well furnish instructions as to the maneuver to execute. However,
under Instrument Flight Rules, there is a definite "no deviation"
maneuver called the "Missed approach". You bring one of these babies
down to 100 feet, and you still can't see the runway, talking to the
tower is the least of your priorities. Although missed approach
procedures are generally designed to keep you just heading straight
out until you are at a safe altitude, and have the sucker back under
control, there are numerous airports which dictate immediate climbing
turns. ( Washington National is the worst I have ever seen ) In these
cases, it may well be prudent to examine an approach chart for any
airport near you, just to see if someone may be turning right into
that 200 foot tower of yours. And take my word for it, if by chance,
you have shot an engine out approach, the "go around" with 1 engine is
hairy enough. To give you an idea, if you have a single engine
approach with an L-1011, you begin it by going to maximum power while
you are still 600 feet high ON the approach. And in such a case,
depending on your gross weight, you may well actually touch down...it
takes that long to get your speed back up, and clean up the beast.

Enough war stories...just another point to consider if you're near an
airport...and looking at the approach plate is as simple as driving to
the airport, finding a small aircraft service, and it'll be tacked on
the wall.

73

Ed