TopBand: Coaxial Cable Traps

Dave Bowker dbowker@shire.sjv.net
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 12:12:55 -0400

Manufacturers of coax cable usually specify a minimum bend radius for
cables which are to be installed in a fixed bent configuration.  If the
bend radius is not specifically called out for the particular type of cable
being used, then the minimum recommended bend radius is taken as 5 times
the outside diameter of the cable.

As for teflon coax cables, I would recommend RG-400 (M17/128-RG-400).  It
is superior to RG-141 and RG-142 for Battle Creek Special trap applications
in that it has a stranded center conductor made up of 19 strands of silver
covered copper (SC),  (versus the solid silver covered copper clad steel
(SCCS) inner conductor of the RG-141/142 types.  It has the same OD as
RG-58 and the minimum bend radius is 1-inch.  I've use this very
successfully in some "very high power" traps for harmonic suppression and
never experienced heating effects at the 5 kW level at 450 Kc (induction
heater application).

73, Dave, K1FK
Fort Kent, ME