TopBand: Yaesu FT-1000D Characteristics

rikik@inter.net.il rikik@inter.net.il
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:26:01 -0800

I've recently purchased a new FT-1000D.  I believe that my radio has a
problem, although Yaesu (through the dealer) insists that it is just
a "characteristic" of the radio and nothing is wrong.  I would
therefore be most grateful to receive comments  from all of you who
are experienced in using this fine radio.

I expect to be able to obtain the highest possible selectivity by
choosing the narrowest 250 Hertz Bandwidth and then by adjusting the
"Shift" and "Width" controls so that everything is narrowed down as
much as possible.  After settting  the "Shift" and "Width" controls
for optimum 250 Hertz selectivity, I expect to  be able to INCREASE
the bandwdth  WITHOUT needing to re-adjust the "Shift" or "Width"
controls.

What actually happens is that if I increase the bandwidth from 250 Hz
to 500 Hz, I must completely and radically change the settings of the
"Shift" and "Width" controls.  Without resetting these controls,
NOTHING at all is received.  I'm not talking about a minor touchup,
but completely different settings.  If, however, I change from 250 Hz
to 2 KHz or 2.4 KHz, everything appears normal - there is no need to
change the "Shift" and "Width" settings.  In summary, the 250 Hz, 2
KHz, & 2.4 KHz bandwidths function as I expect, but the 500 Hz
bandwidth does not.  It requires unique adjustments of the "Shift" and
Width" controls.

Please let me know if you have experienced "characteristics" like I've
mentioned, or not.  If it is not too much trouble to include the
serial number of the receiver, that could be helpful in trying to put
some statistics together (mine is S/N 8J540016).

Thanks & 73

de Riki, 4X4NJ