TopBand: 160 cndx from VK6

Michael Bazley mbazley@omen.net.au
Mon, 05 Jan 1998 12:19:36 +0800

Hi All, Like Steve, VK6VZ said, cndx were strange and difficult this morning
(Jan 4th. 2030/2130z). I had a continuous S6 steady noise coming from an
Easterly direction. The nearest power lines to the East are at least 1K/m
away. I could hear stations calling but not get calls...only the strongest
got through. Going onto 80m, at 2130z, I noticed on the 80m horizontal
antenna there was an s7 noise but on the vetical nil. The 160 ant is an inv
vee at 95 feet and I did try the 80m ants for listening on 160 but no joy. I
have noticed in the past that when there is a strong Easterly wind, 40 knots
plus, there is noise on the band. I suspect the wind maybe the culprit. Any
ideas? Thanks to the 10 stations that made it into the 160 log this am. BTW
the Lp on 80m, after 2130z, was good  with QSO's into 3 and 4 land. 73 es dx
de Mike VK6HD