TopBand: XW30

John Kaufmann kaufmann@ll.mit.edu
Tue, 6 Jan 98 11:31:48 -0500

No, I didn't hear or work them yet on Top Band and I don't
really hold out much hope of doing so from my station but...
they were audible here this morning on 80 CW on 3502.5
15 minutes AFTER my sunrise working a HUGE JA pileup
spread over nearly 5 kHz.

What is surprising is that they were audible at all and that
the propagation path was nearly short path over the pole
(north).  Propagation to Zone 26 over this path is very
unusual on 80 from W1.  Normally I would expect the path
to be either skewed from the southwest at our sunrise or
skewed long path from the southeast at our sunset.  This
morning's observation perhaps suggests something about
what could be possible on Top Band, given the right conditions.

73, John W1FV