TopBand: YS, 8Q7, V7, YB, 3A, AP, 3B7 on 160

Bill Tippett btippett@CTC.Net
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 07:18:06 -0500 (EST)

>From The Daily DX:

"The Finnish group that was scheduled to operate from Guatemala has
had a change of plans (see Vol. 1 No. 191 and Vol. 2 No. 13).  The
group will now operate from the beach QTH of Raymundo, YS1RRD, in El
Salvador.  Possible calls are YS1X, YS1OH or YS9OH.  More details to
follow."  (YS1RRD has a great signal on 160!...de W4ZV)

"Hans, DL8NBE, and Rolf, HB9DIF, will be active from 19 February to 11
March as 8Q7BE and 8Q7BV respectively.  Hans will handle the SSB and
RTTY while Rolf does the CW.  They will be using a FT-757GX and  a
TS-50 with a ground plane antenna.  Look for them to be active on all
bands from Dhifffushi Island which is in the South Ari Atoll.  QSL
via home call bureaus only."
(Editorial note by W4ZV--8Q7BE was only running barefoot into a
Butternut vertical when I worked him last March 20.  I take back
everything I've ever said about Butternuts!)

"Tim, V73AT, report that in the near future he plans to be active on
160 meters at the club station.  He will try to put up an inverted L."

"Phil, YB0ARA/9, plans to be on in the CQ World Wide 160 Meter CW
Contest this weekend.  Look for him around 11:00Z on Saturday on
1826.5, 1827.5 or between 1830-1835.  QSL via N2AU."
(Another note--I understand many may be complaining about QSL's.
I believe N2AU (n2au@lightlink.com) has logs for all past YB0ARA
operations so try again to Art if you need Phil's QSL...de W4ZV)

"Manfred, DJ7RJ, will once again be active from Monaco as 3A/DJ7RJ
from 28 February to 12 March.  He will mostly be on CW and plans to
be on 160 meters at 04:00Z on 1833.  QSL via DJ7RJ."

"Hiro, JA1EZM, is once again active from Karachi, Pakistan as AP2AP.
He hopes to get on in this weekends CQ World Wide CW 160 Meter DX
contests.  QSL via JA1EZM."  (Since the AP radio club claims this
fellow is operating without permission, I would not think it would
count for DXCC.  I've written a note to K5FUV at ARRL DXCC and will
let you know what I find...de W4ZV)

"Gerry, W6TER, reports the following about the upcoming St. Brandon
Island DXpedition that was mentioned in the 8 December issue of The
Daily DX.  The DXpedition will take place from 6 to 17 May on
Cargados Island in the St. Brandon archipelago.  The Union of Swiss
Short wave Amateurs (USKA) club station HB9RF is organizing this
DXpedition and is headed by Karl, HB9JAI.  The group will leave
Zurich on 2 May and hopes to start the operation on 6 May.  A license
has not been granted as of yet however the Mauritian authorities have
given written permission.  The group will consist of 3B8CF, 4X1DF/A,
HB9ABO, HB9ADP, HB9AFH, HB9AFI, HB9AHL, HB9AJW, HB9BQI, HB9BQW,
HB9BXE, HB9JAI and K5KG.  Plans are to have 4 stations with
amplifiers and antennas for all bands from 10 to 160 meters.  Look
for them to be active on CW, SSB, RTTY and SSTV.  They will also be
doing to testing on 2 and/or 6 meters between 3B7 and 3B8.  With this
many operators they will be on 24 hours a day throughout the
DXpedition.  The logs will be transmitted daily to a website via
Inmarsat so stations working them will easily be able to check for their
QSOs.  The group is looking for financial assistance from the DX
community.  Those wishing to help out may do so by contacting Josef
Meier, HB9AJW via e-mail at 100450.540@compuserve.com  The DXpedition
bank account information is:

Swiss Bank Corporation, Bundesplatz 1, CH-6300 Zug, Switzerland
Account numbers  Q 824.996.0 CHF, Q 824.996.1 USD.
Remark: "Cargados-Expedition"
Cashier: Josef Meier, HB9AJW

More information to follow."

(Too bad this expedition is going so late in the season.  Conditions will
probably marginal on 160 for everyone except VE1 & W1.  Would have been
much better for all bands in March just before the Equinox...de W4ZV)