TopBand: First DX of season...

W0AH@aol.com W0AH@aol.com
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:47:32 EDT

Topbanders,
For safety sake, I recently inspected all my guy wires, retensioning them to
get my tilting 80' tower (it's not a tiltover!) vertical again. Then I climbed
and reattached the top loading wires to the 10' mast above the tower, one of
which had pulled off where they are fastened with a muffler clamp.  This
morning was my first opportunity to operate. Thanks to VK3ZL and VK6VZ for
coming back to  my CQs.  Good contacts despite the QRN on both sides.
I'll be adding some  .25 to .5 wavelength radials this month, but probably
won't add 10' to the tower with a beam for toploading as I had planned.  Next
year.
I also recently repaired my one and only beverage which is 700' at 40 degrees
for Europe.  The deer and elk had torn much of it down.  Tonight I'll be
listening for Europe the first time this season.
Good DXing on topband this season (with apologies to those downunder for my
northern-hemisphere-centered-view).
Doug  W0AH  Woodland Park Colorado