Topband: terminated or not?

Fred Hopengarten k1vr@juno.com
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 00:23:54 EST

From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               781/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu
if sending attachments:  k1vr@gis.net

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999 08:00:57 -0500 "Dick Wilborg" <dwilborg@bit-net.com>
writes:

>Unterminated Beverages are not worth the bother!
>My suggestion would be to put a 9:1 transformer at each end of your
>Beverage wire. Then install a separate coax cable from each end, back
>to your shack.
>Attach each cable to a cable tv "A/B" switch. It must be of the type
that
>automatically self terminates the unselected port. Many common, low
>cost types
>are available at Radio Shack in the US. This will produce a true
>properly terminated, bi-directional Beverage with one wire.
>Just requires more coax.
>Cheers,  Dick, W1ZC  Mason, NH

K1VR:  This is exactly what I do. Cable TV coax is cheap when purchased
by the roll. Use F connectors. This idea appears as "Six Antennas from
Three Wires, by K1VR and N1RC, 73 Magazine, October 1983, page 10.
Another alternative is to fashion a two wire Beverage out of 450 ohm
brown plastic ladder line, which is what N2NU and WW2Y do. -- Fred
.
.
.
.