TopBand: Adice? Wire mesh radials

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:16:17 -0500

Date sent:      	Fri, 19 Feb 1999 08:11:51 -0500 (EST)
From:           	W9zr@aol.com
Subject:        	TopBand: Adice?  Wire mesh radials
To:             	Topband@contesting.com

> I would appreciate any advice from our topband group!
>
> I would like to lay down a wire mesh of some sort to enhance the radial field
> under my vertical.  In one direction it is essential since the lawn comes into
> play and I need to roll it up in the summer.

One of the conclusions of the famous Brown Lewis and Epstein
study was that a ground screen makes no difference IF you are
using enough radials. If the ground system is marginal, much less
than perhaps 30 radials, they help.

 > What type of mesh is recommended?  Standard chicken wire?  Is a copper mesh
> available at a reasonable price?  From where?

We buy expanded copper mesh for broadcast stations (mainly to
make it easy to work around the tower, and make it easy to ground
things like tuning units), but it requires deep pockets.

For a temporary system, I'd get a welded galvanized material like
used in fences. Try to get heavy galvanizing if you want it to last.

Keep in mind with enough radials, it makes no difference at all in
efficiency.

> How would one hold the stuff in position once it is down?

You can pin it down. I had galvanized screen in a test range
and laid stone below and above it, it lasted for years.
On dirt, just lay something on the corners or pin it with stakes.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com