Topband: A61AJ 29 Nov 1600z

K1ZM@aol.com K1ZM@aol.com
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:50:15 +0400

Hello Gang

The following relates the 1330z - 1520z 20 November 99 report from A61AJ
into W6/W7 on 1832/1834.

First, thanks to those who tried to make it across.

I actually heard some of you - but under quite impossible RX conditions.

Three days ago I moved our LP beverage in order to (hopefully) mitigate a
line noise source in its path.  While this helped somewhat, it wasn't enuff.
Instead of being 10 over S9, it was now S6-7, so it was far from optimal.

Tonight, I started detecting the pile at about 1425z - on the beverage with
the noise blanker on.  This was so far from optimal that I switched over to
try the two xmit antennas and found I actually could hear deeper into the
noise floor on the phased vertical array - but signals on it were extremely
WEAK - whispers would be an OVERSTATEMENT!

About 1435z, I really started hearing signals - with the attenuator on,  RF
gain backed way off & audio gain turned up pretty far.

Signals arriving here can be described as follows:

1) Constant awareness of the pile - just bubbling at the noise floor (and below)
2) The **signals** peaking up through the noise at an honest 219/229.
(It was as K4UEE described his experience at VK0IR - signals standing 1"
tall against a backdrop of the Empire State Bldg) - only against either:

an S7 noise floor (attenuated to S2-3)

OR

Less noise - but also less signal on the phased vertical array.

Despite the difficulties in RX, I think I got a few good ones out of it.

Here's who and what I copied (done from memory) - as my log has been packed
already:

First legitimate callsign through around 1440-1443z

AJ6T

W6PBI

K7IBX (this one might have been K7IVX (can't recall from memory now)

W7AWA

Then one I copied two ways - W7CT or WC7T  - or very close to that call.  I
really struggled with that one.

I never heard N6DX or K6NDV who both spotted me.  Sorry.

I saw from the internet that N6FF said there were a "millio W6/W7" callers -
well, maybe over THERE - it was 3-5 here - with the rest of you at or below
the noise floor.

This reminds me of my own similar experience with W4ZV when we both heard
9M0C on Spratly three years ago at our sunrise for about 10 mins at 579 -
and could not complete the Q.  SO, I know the feeling...I've been in YOUR
shoes too...

Now for some good news.

We must remember that we are at the pinnacle of the current sunspot cycle.
Were this 1995 or 1996, I'll bet things would have been different.  I am
sure signal levels would be significantly improved at the bottom of a
sunspot cycle.

More importantly, I have spent quite a bit of time talking with Ali about
some permanent 160M antenna systems over here.

Ali is not a CW man - but he LOVES competitive contesting.  And, he is
interested in improving his 160m capabilities in order to be more
competitive in the major Dx competitions.

Yesterday, as a first step,  we laid out the footprint for a FULL-SIZE 160m
four square array - to be installed using Rohn 25 towers on insulated bases
- with permanent ground radial systems.

He has even asked me to consider coming over here again at a point in the
future to set it up and tune it -  once he has installed the tower radiators.
I am not sure when exactly this will be completed - but I do believe he will
proceed with the project and see it through.  So, there is hope for
additional 160M activity going forward - at least I hope so...

The site for the array is about 750 feet away from the main antenna (tower)
field and even further away from where I think our noise source is coming
from. It would be slick indeed to be even LOUDER on xmit than at present -
AND have a four square array to experiment with on RX - the mind wanders.......!

If anything further develops on this, I will be sure to pass it along.  I
would expect to be here for a week or more if it happens in order to set the
thing up, tune it and then test it on the air (1330z-1530z would seem
appropriate). (Hi!)

Thanks to all those "million" who tried today.  Sorry I was only to pull out
a few of you.  I hope to be able to have the chance to try this again under
better RX condx one day.

73 for now - time to head to the airport.

Jeff

K1ZM - 160m Op at A61AJ