Topband: trouble shooting techniques for noise

Dinsterdog@aol.com Dinsterdog@aol.com
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 00:39:11 EDT

Greetings......a couple of weeks ago, I started getting what sounds like a
steady tone of QRM line buzz noise on my NE bevg- at excact 10KHz spacing- in
between, no qrm at all- just a very quiet band to work DX- but the buzzing
falls onto 1.810- 1.820, 1.830 etc........about 1KHz wide- and a small spike
on the scope-

None of the other bevgs pick it up- at all- and my Inv L for 160 and Butter
HF2v only pick it up slightly- would not be noticable if I wasnt looking for
it-

My handheld shortwave picks it up nicely when I touch the antenna with my
hand- if i let go of the antenna- nada-

 I cant find the source- nothing local yet radiates as being the source of
the noise- ie: power lines, computers etc.....

The bevg's are terminated with ICE matching boxes- they all check out ok-

The noise is in exact 10KHz steps with no noise inbetween- the 10KHz .....and
it only appears on the 160 meter band- nada on 10-80..............the noise
covers as far down as I can go into the commercial freqs- down to about
1000KHz and up to 3.000MHz or so before it goes away- fading as I get higher
in freq-

Anyone have any ideas what this can be??? I thought I'd find right away-
computer switch, cable box transformer etc.....but to no avail- please email
me at dinsterdog@aol.com with any ideas- thx a ton!  Paul  N0AH