Topband: K1FZ Beverage Transformers

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 09:57:58 -0400

>  In general reflection transformers will
> >give you much better F/B than simply tying one of the wires directly to
> >ground, which is what most people do.  At KC1XX we saw a big improvement
> >in performance when we changed over to reflection transformer
> >terminations (our own homebrew units) for all the Beverages.

Very true.  The idea of simply grounding one wire is a poor one.
That absolutely does not terminate the end properly, despite some
claims that it does.  If you analyze the system, it becomes very
clear grounding one wire does NOT work properly.

> Anyone else out the notice their two-wire Beverages delivering unequal
> signal levels?

Not when they use proper transformers. When they don't, and just
have one wire grounded, they behave poorly although they "sorta
work".  I wrote an article in Comm Quarterly about reflection
transformers.  The ones in ON4UN's book work also, although I
prefer #73 core material because it requires less wire.  In any event,
they aren't hard to make.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com