Topband: Wideband Noise on 160

K3BU@aol.com K3BU@aol.com
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 09:54:53 EST

My 2 cents:
1 cent: cheap Chineese lamps, the black tall lamp with dish like fixture and
quartz bulbs. The dimmer in them is a white noise generator.

2nd cent: puzzled me in CQ WW CW on 10m. I was so happy to find quiet place
on Cape Hatteras, storm chased neighbors away, I figured - dead RF silence
weekend. Only to be plagued on Saturday by the mysterious, about 30 kHz wide
band noise about S7, that kept slowly chasing me, drifting around the band.
I could see it on the IC781 band scope. I couldn't figure out what was it,
new marine radar? Turned out to be charger for Nokia cell phone, that I kept
on the top of my radios just in case XYL needed me. After unplugging that
junk, I enjoyed the most RF quiet band in my life, I ran out of sensitivity
on the RX.

First try UNPLUGGING things in your house and see if you are clean and let us
know what it was :-) Looks like better antennas we have, the more junk we
hear, time for migrating hams to contest sites?

GL and HNY, Yuri, K3BU, Tesla RC - N2EE