Topband: RE: Inverted-L responses

David Gordon dgordon@gb.nrao.edu
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 15:04:11 GMT

Thanks to all that responded. Here is what I concluded from those who responded:

-the average length is from 130 to 165 feet long.

-keep the vertical element as high as possible.

-use a good air variable capacitor for tuning.

-keep the end of the horizontal element as high as possible too.

-have a good ground...or as best as you can install; radials and a ground rod,
 not just a ground rod alone.

Hope to work you all later this spring when the snows melt so that I can install
one!

-- David - KB4LCI

P.S.  Thanks for the summary David!  As a reminder to all, this is the
way we should summarize responses to very specific questions.  Instead of
forwarding 3 essentially similar responses to KC4MOP's question about
laying radials, I am asking Fred to summarize these in ONE follow-up
post.  Yes, I know this is different than other reflectors, but this is
also why we have much higher non-USA participation (estimate ~23%).  When
the rest of the world has cheap or free internet access, I'll change the
policy...until then, let's all be considerate and do our part to keep
the quality of info high and the bandwidth down.  Also, before asking your
question, please be sure to check the reflector archives to make sure it
has not been answered previously...if I feel your question has been
covered there previously, I may bounce it back to you and ask you to first
do your homework in the archives.  Thanks for your help!  73,  Bill  W4ZV