Topband: Reverse feeding beverages. (or getting the most bang for the buck)

Kenneth Ramirez KRAMIREZ@tritonpcs.com
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 13:27:59 -0500

            Last year I asked around about the possibilities of feeding a
beverage at both ends. I was curious if this would work and how well or
poorly it would. I had an existing beverage to the Northwest that was
terminated(600 ohms) and ran feedline to the terminated side and tried it as
a SE beverage. I used your typical I.C.E. matching device. It wound up being
a better Rx antenna towards the SE than a NW beverage. Last week I did the
same to my Northeast beverage. Same results. In fact, this SW beverage is
the best receive antenna I presently have. I am able to hear VK and ZL
stations on 75 that I cannot hear on any of my other rx and transmit
antennas and it was, by far, the best antenna to copy 3W5FM on. VK6VZ and
VK6HD are much better on this antenna S/N wise on 160m than any of my other
antennas and that is not the direction they should be coming from. (unless
it was a skewed path). Both of these beverages are a short 500 feet. At
first I thought a SW beverage would not provide much utility but boy was I
wrong! It is nice to get 4 directions out of 2 strung beverages! Can anyone
explain why both reverse fed beverages outperform the originally intended
directions?? I plan on putting up an East/West beverage for two more
directions.. This antenna stuff sure is fun!
73 Ken N4UK