Topband: vertical take off angle

Eric Gustafson n7cl@mmsi.com
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:43:24 -0700

Hi Rob,

I just ran your inverted "L" through EZNEC V2 (NEC2 engine).
Here is what I got using "good" ground constants (5 mS, e=13),
and 64 foot radials of #12 wire on the earth's surface.

Radials	     Gain	  TOA
	     (dBi)	(Degrees)
-------	     -----	---------

   0	    -1.53	  23.4

   4	     1.63	  23.8

  10	     1.85	  23.8

  20	     2.04	  23.8

  25	     2.10	  23.8

  30	     2.14	  23.8

  40	     2.20	  23.8

  50	     2.23	  23.8

  60	     2.25	  23.8

 120	     2.29	  23.8

Here is what I got using "poor" ground constants (2 mS, e=13),
and 64 foot radials of #12 wire on the earth's surface.

Radials	     Gain	  TOA
	     (dBi)	(Degrees)
-------	     -----	---------

   0	    -2.62	  26.2

   4	     0.75	  26.4

  10	     1.12	  27.4

  20	     1.43	  27.4

  25	     1.51	  27.4

  30	     1.57	  27.4

  40	     1.65	  27.4

  50	     1.69	  27.4

  60	     1.72	  27.4

 120	     1.77	  27.4

Clearly, these 1/8 wavelength radials are too short to have any
meaningful effect on takeoff angle regardless of the screen
density.  Diminishing returns set in early (somewhere between 20
and 30 radials).

Here is what I got over "poor" ground using the FCC 0.4
wavelength radials at various screen densities.

Radials	     Gain	  TOA
	     (dBi)	(Degrees)
-------	     -----	---------

   0	    -2.62	  26.2

   4	     0.81	  26.6

   8	     1.16	  26.4

  16	     1.66	  26.0

  32	     2.29	  24.6

  64	     2.96	  23.4

 128	     3.47	  23.0

 256	     3.72	  23.0

 512	     3.82	  23.0

It is obvious from this where the 120 radial requirement came
from at this radial length.  But if you really want to bring the
TOA down with a ground screen under a vertical this tall, be
prepared to go to extremes in both radial length and screen
density.  Here is what happens over "poor" ground with 1.5
wavelength radials at various screen densities.

Radials	     Gain	  TOA
	     (dBi)	(Degrees)
-------	     -----	---------

   0	    -2.62	  26.2

   4	     0.81	  26.6

   8	     1.16	  26.4

  16	     1.66	  26.0

  32	     2.29	  24.6

  64	     2.97	  22.4

 128	     3.57	  19.2

 256	     4.02	  15.6

 512	     4.33	  12.4

1024	     4.53	   9.6

2048	     4.65	   7.4

4096	     4.71	   6.6

8092	     4.73	   6.6

Just out of curiosity, which software package were you using?
What were your conductor diameters?  What assumptions did you
have for ground constants?

73, Eric  N7CL