Topband: Noise problem solved

AA4NC@aol.com AA4NC@aol.com
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 21:48:40 EST

I wanted to thank all the Topbanders who offered some good information in my
hunt for my mysteriously appearing 160m noise. Kudos to: W4BUW, NA5B, W4ZV,
K1FZ, K4SXT, KK4TR, NI6T, KJ9C, KD9SV, K3HX, and others who came to my aid.

The culprit turned out to be a bad lightning arrester on a power pole that
was on my property. It was so close, that it made it even harder to detect
because the interference was so strong that it propagated a long distance. I
could hear it up to several miles away on 1710 Khz. on my car radio. It
seemed to be coming from everything made of metal in my yard, when I walked
around with a portable receiver. The strange thing is that the noise was only
on the low bands. I could not hear it above 6 Mhz, even though it was
extremely strong.

After 2 weeks of 40 over line noise, these static crashes I'm hearing on 160
tonight sound like music to my ears!!

73,

Will AA4NC / W4MR