Topband: Back in W

Robert Marshall-Read rmread@nortelnetworks.com
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 22:43:06 -0500

Topbanders,

A short R+R break in the USA for the past few days has been most
enlightening.

After hearing not much these past few weeks from LU/KY0C, and not back at
the home QTH with real antennas and QRO in G4, the addiction to top band
took over.  Despite condo regulations against ANYTHING outside, a nightime
antenna expedition with a wire out the third floor window, over a few palm
trees, and some lucky rock throws, hey presto, a three quarters wave end
fed, which in ordinary circumstances would be a good receive antenna at 6
metres off the ground.

It loaded, and the counterpoise snaked around the inside of the condo under
the carpet.

Two calls and I5JVA heard the TS 50.  Not bad.  A QSO with Al K7CA, and Rick
N7KO....both DX in the extreme from G4VGO at the best of times.

That was last night, but tonight was the real lesson.

On the other side of the pond and down in the black hole of Argentina, only
a few stateside stations ordinarily make the grade.  Tonight (Sunday in W4,
Monday Zulu) the band was active.  So much so that I thought I was hearing
the Euro Curtain Lid Pile in action.  The calling over the DX stations, the
lack of full break in, and other circumstances lead me to believe that
although the operators in Europe are an unruly mob, the stateside stations
are just as aggressive.  It is just that we don't normally hear to mess 'out
there' from the USA.

Enough of the soapbox, and will be listening from HK/KY0C and HC/KY0C with
the TS50, and a wire out the window as travel takes the station around Latin
America.  Also from LU/KY0C at weekends.

BTW, got three countries from KY0C/4 and counting.

73 and good DX.

Bob Marshall-Read
KY0C  G4VGO   EI7IU