Topband: Bizarre conditions 10/28 on top band

gary nichols kd9sv@tk7.net
Sat, 28 Oct 2000 09:18:43 -0500

I have been normally able to work most stations on top band that are loud
enough to hear on SSB without much difficulty, however last night was real
strange.  CN8WW was worked one call, while stations such as IG9A, IH9P, M6T,
S57MT, PA3V, YV4A and others were apparently unable to hear myself or other
"BIG" signals, even W8JI couldnt get as much as a QRZ from the other zone 33
guys.  I wonder just how loud a signal must have been that they could
hear???  I have seen selective propagation before, but not to this extent.
Any other comments about this??  Hope the CQ160 contests are better in jan
and feb or it will be really frustrating.  I have heard very little from
Europe this season and Carribean stations are begining to appear as "rare
DX" on the band. 73's...de gary, kd9sv