Topband: Middle East Conditons

Bill Tippett btippett@alum.mit.edu
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 01:41:27 +0000

Happy New Year All!

        I haven't been on Topband much this season but my XYL had a
meeting tonight so I decided to listen a bit.  There were some very
good signals from Europe including EU6EU, OM0WR and G3PQA.  I worked
UR9MU and heard some Russians ragchewing on 1843 SSB so I knew the band
was fairly long.  At 0049 I almost fell out of my chair when I heard
Gus A92ZE CQ'ing with a very solid 579 on the meter!  He was so strong
I could hear a distinct buzz on his signal.  We quickly exchanged reports
and I posted him to create some business.  He then worked a bunch of
East Coast stations and remained very strong until he started fading
down around 0120.  I'm still copying him 559 CQ'ing on the speaker as I
write this at 0145 but he is only hearing locals.  This opening certainly
agrees with what K1ZM saw from A61AJ...i.e. the peak may be several
hours before local sunrise in that area...of course he could also build
again near his sunrise at 0330 but there certainly was a great peak
around 0100.

        Good luck to all with Gus...he has a great signal if you can
catch the opening!

                                                  73,  Bill  W4ZV