Topband: "T" or Inverted L?

George & Marijke Guerin gmguerin@voyager.net
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 22:18:19 -0500

Dear OM,

The KT34XA has all insulated elements.  The top loading is from the boom and
coupling from feed line to driven elements.  If you are not going to mess
with grounding the reflector and third director, I vote for an inverted L.

On the other hand,  If you want to take the antenna down and connect the
front and back elements to the boom, and re-adjust the lengths to compensate
for shorting to the boom, I would shunt feed. The W2PV models suggest you
shorten each side of grounded elements about 0.6 inches for the KT34XA.  I
can no longer confirm that as the program I have will not run in windows,
and I cannot get it to boot-up on a Pentium style PC.

I did exactly that with my KT34XA and it worked fine against a good ground.

George        K8GG