Topband: "T" or Inverted L?

Maurizio Panicara i4jmy@iol.it
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:46:27 +0100

K8GG:
>The W2PV models suggest you
> shorten each side of grounded elements about 0.6 inches for the KT34XA.  I
> can no longer confirm that as the program I have will not run in windows,
> and I cannot get it to boot-up on a Pentium style PC.

The boom doesn't make the element thicker because
it is not a part of the element being located below.
The strap size is what changes the equivalent diameter of the antenna
element but actually, an half inch strap over the yagi element doesn't
modify its electrical length to the point that one needs to shorten the
element.  An element length correction occurs when the boom is a part
of the element, electrically because the element current flows in it.
A typical case are the HI-Gain yagi antennas where boom and element to
boom plates are part of the element and effectively make the equivalent
diameter much bigger.

73,
Mauri I4JMY