Topband: Beverage discussion

Herbert Schoenbohm herbs@vitelcom.net
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 03:23:28 -0400

Tom,

I you decide on coax you can get some great bargains on 75 ohm RG6.  In fact MCM
(800-543-4330) has a 500 foot roll of dual foam RG-6 for under $100 bucks and
you can easily separate it if you want 1000 feet. On 160 and 80 a larger
diameter coax is just not worth the effort. For some strange reason the dual
RG-6 is cheaper than the single run.  I guess that may have something to do with
the demand in the home satellite industry.

I don't think you will be happy with twin lead due to the balanced matching
requirement. Additionally it isn't very durable over time whipping in the wind
and needs to be supported with stand off insulators and twisted frequently to
avoid random pickup.  It does however make a fine matching transformer to a
higher impedance antenna such as a K6SE pennant if you deal with the balanced
unbalanced issue.

Good luck in your project