Topband: Chokes - ferrite vs air

Gary Hinson g4ifb@totalise.co.uk
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:00:18 +0100

Folks,

I've used home-brewed and commercial "QRO" ferrite choke 'baluns' before.
With QRO and hi-SWR, they get warm, sometimes hot to the touch: I guess that's
the result of choking off the power on the outside of the coax and/or
saturating the ferrite.  With QROo. & extended cooking time, I expect the
ferrite denatures and they cease choking anything.

Somewhere on the web*, I've read that air-core chokes are better: abt 6 inches
of coiled coax wound neatly as a single layer (NOT bundled) on abt 4 inch
diameter PVC pipe, or something like that.  Theory is that the air core won't
saturate.  Best of all, they're practically free.

Anyone more knowledgeable/experienced than me have views either way?  Do
air-core chokes work OK on 160?  How many turns & what diameter work best??

73,
Gary

ON/G4iFB

*  I can't remember where - maybe in W4RNL's collection of articles at
http://www.cebik.com/radio.html  ?