Topband: modeling question

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:01:00 -0500

> When I changed out the old TH6 for a nice shiny C31XR I worried about
> the insulated elements. I asked Force 12 about it. I was told there
> has been only one reported instance of insulator failure in that
> application and that was using "excessive" power levels.

You'll see in my example at the end the statement above is a wild
guess without any meaning. You were very lucky it worked Larry.

Voltage goes up only by the square root of the power increase. If
you don't have enough headroom for 4 kW you certainly won't be
completely safe at 1500 watts.

On the other hand impedances are all over the place. The
difference in voltage between the insulated element and the boom
can be staggering. Besides power, we must consider:

1.) The longer the boom and fewer the elements, the larger the
voltage gradient between elements and boom.

2.) The higher the antenna on the tower, the larger the voltage.

3.) The shorter the tower (assuming losses remain low), the higher
the voltage.

4.) The better the ground system, the higher the voltage.

You could do this with almost any modeling program:

Model the antenna and tower. Connect the elements one at a time
to the boom with a wire. Insert a very high resistance load in the
wire, and find the current in that load. Use ohm's law to calculate
the voltage across the load. Some programs will tell you the
voltage across the load directly.

Eznec makes it simple. It will allow you to insert an additional
current source in the wire between the element and boom, and set
the current of that source to zero amperes. By looking at the
source data table, you can directly read the voltage across the
zero current source. That source voltage will be the exact element
to boom RMS voltage, just multiply it times 1.414 to get peak
voltage.

I just did that for a 50 foot mast with a 30 foot element, everything 2
inch diameter. At 1500 watts, the element to mast voltage is 9221
volts RMS, or 13kV peak. Ouch!!!

By changing height to 100 feet, no other changes, voltage
becomes 2576v RMS or 3642 volts peak between the element and
boom. Still high for the insulators I see on most antennas.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com