Topband: follow up on VR2MY on Topband

Dinsterdog@aol.com Dinsterdog@aol.com
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 23:23:01 EDT

I had a chance to visit with Yul one last time tonight before 10 meters
droped out after I posted my first comments on his situation.   He told me
that he is using a 65 foot sloper of the top of a 3 story building utilizing
what he thinks is "copper" pipe plumbing of the building acting as a
counterpoise for the antenna.  The antenna is not much at an angle due to 30
feet of the antenna going across the roof and the rest of the antenna pulled
towards the ground almost vertical from the building wall-  (Sounds like a
1/2 size upside down Inv L-)  The main road to the village goes right by the
antenna and his land lords give him a hard time about it's looks etc....He
mentioned that he worked K7CA and W6AJJ on 16 Mar 2000 on 160 meters.  But
that's all he has worked on 160M to stateside-  He's running a FT1000D and
200 watts.  Since he is limited to wires only, sounds like he's got a good
antenna already for topband....Yul is a citizen of VR2 but spent 16 years in
the states and sounds like a Yankee fan...he said his accent is from being
around all the New Yorkers living in Florida- hi  Was really nice to have
such an awesome opening on 10meters to get to know him and his circumstances
on the low bands a bit more-

73  Paul  N0AH