Topband: Shuntfeeding

Barrie Smith barrie@centric.net
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 20:01:13 -0600

Hello:

Some years ago in "Communications Quarterly" there was an article regarding
shuntfeeding towers.  The author recommended that the gamm-rod be 1/3 the
diameter of the tower, and gave several "cookbook" specifications for
construction and tuning.

I saved that issue for several years.  Now that I'm somewhat in a position
to attempt the task, I can't find the article.

Can anyone provide me with a copy?

I have an 18" face, 80' aluminum tower that I'll be mounting a Force 12
620/340 on soon.

Also, regarding radials:  I've been told dozens of things about radials over
the years.  I won't quote them all here, but these are a few that concern
me:

The more the better?

All must 1/4 wavelength long?

Doesn't matter how long they are, some may be very long or very short?

To be effective they must be #8 wire or larger?

Each must be terminated with a ground rod?

Each must be as straight as possible?

They don't need to be straight, they can curve or go around houses, etc?

Radials must be evenly distributed around the vertical antenna?

And on and on.

I'd like to get back on 160 soon, so any help would be appreciated.

73,

Barrie, W7ALW, Missoula, Montana