Topband: Guide to working VK6 from Europe

Steve Ireland sire@iinet.net.au
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:12:52 +0800

G'day

It was interesting to read of the good conditions from VK6 into Europe in
the last day - which unfortunately I missed owing to being fast asleep
after a very heavy day at work.  However, I am now on two weeks holiday at
home, so hope there are some similiarly good ones during this time.

One fact that those who live in Europe and want to work into VK6 on 1.8MHz
should bear in mind is that because the strength of signals depend very
heavily on how close the VK6 station they are hearing is to their sunrise,
where the particular VK6 station is located is very important.

Peter VK6APZ is located in Esperance, over 700 km south east of Perth, Mike
VK6HD is located in Albany, over 400 km south east of Perth, while I am in
Glen Forrest, 30 km east of Perth.  Peter's sunrise would be at least 20
minutes before sunrise in Perth, while Mike's will be at least ten minutes
before Perth sunrise.  For all practical purposes, my sunrise is the same
as Perth, which today is about 2140Z and getting a minute earlier each day.

What this means is when Europe is hearing Peter at his best (i.e. in the 15
minute period before his sunrise), Mike's signal may be several 'S' points
lower and I may be barely audible.  Don't give up when Peter has faded to
virtually nothing and Mike's signal is dropping, because that may be time
when I am booming in.

Western Australia is a VERY big place.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ