Topband: shortened & low dipole for 160M--transmit/receive issues

Ivo PEZER, 5B4ADA 9a3a@spidernet.com.cy
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 10:27:32 +0100

> I predict that if you try to do topband dxing with that
> dipole you will taking up photography or model airplanes before spring
> comes... I sepnt 20 years on a tiny city lot... I have tried everything
> known to man, invented a few unknown antennas even, and the cheapy
vertical
> with the 60 very short radials (all I could manage) was the only thing
that
> worked...

I have much better experience with TX/RX  low 160m antenna and would like to
encourage people to get on the air with whatever available means. Having no
other choice for 160 (unable to tune 1/4 sloper) I added another leg and
made it an Inverted  V, mounted 55 ft over ground.  The tower is 14m (46ft)
Rohn 25 mounted on a flat roof, house height is only 3m (10ft), holding two
F12 duobanders on a 2.5m (8.4ft) mast and two 1/4 slopers for 80m attached
to the top of the tower. My hopes were some multipliers during CQWW
contests, and perhaps some DX, but.... since December 1997  I worked 1745
USA stations on Topband, all zones (WAZ 160 Nr. 161), and have achieved
excellent contest results.
I can not guarantee you similar success, but since not all of us have space
and resources for a 1/4 vertical of 4 square, and you have no other choice,
it's worth trying.

73 Ivo 5B4ADA