Topband: RE: skewed paths

Milt Jensen miltj@aepnet.com
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 10:27:29 +0100

Additional comments RE Ford's post and questions by Milt, N5IA

> Milt wrote:
>
> "The first couple of days of full operation on 160 Meters we knew the
> signals
> were coming from the SSE but we were having problems copying them on a two
> wavelength long Beverage oriented specifically in that direction.  Reports
> via the pilot stations indicated our transmit signal was being heard quite
> well."
>
> It seems to me that this is a perfect example of back scatter, where the
> geometry of the skip along one path is impossible in reverse.
>
> Milt continues regarding a low dipole:
>
> "The proof is in the results because the high angle arrival signals from
the
> SSE skew path received by the low dipole accounted for approximately 80%
of
> the 400+ NA stations that were worked on 160 Meters from XZ0A."
_______________________________________

And let me add that ALL stations east of the Mississippi were worked via
this path.  We were not able to establish confirmed contacts with NA east
coast at their sunrise with the exception of Jack, VE1ZZ.
_______________________________________

> Again, I submit that this is consistant with what would be expected from
> backscatter.  The point of the incoming skip being close to the target
> (Milt) and signals arriving at high angles.  I wonder if Milt tried
> reversing the path using the low dipole?
_______________________________________

Hi Ford.  No, we could not make the dipole directional.  But I did have some
thoughts of erecting a 2nd one on the north side of the first, with proper
phasing and spacing.  Just did not have the time to do all that and operate
all night also.  However, we had the full complement of Bevs to all the
northerly azimuths which performed per textbook to JA, NA west coast, and
EU.  Switching to any of these antennas during the skew path period
presented a total loss of signal.

Our experience was that the switch from the SSE skew path to the direct
northerly path ocurred two to three hours into our darkeness at Thahtay
Khun.  This normally was at the time (1400-1500) when the US sunrise was in
the western portion of Zero and Five land.  With the exception of the
fantastic opening the last night, most all 7th district and all 6th district
stations were worked via the direct path.  From XZ0A these areas are at an
azimuth which just skirts the outer edge of the polar auroral zone.