Topband: 160meter dx

Bill Hohnstein k0ha@navix.net
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:26:36 -0500

W7AWA wrote:
> I have never found any receiving antenna that out performed my
> transmitting antenna in any situation ...
> The possible explanation is that my transmitting antenna isn't very good and
> I am in a very very quiet location.  This may apply to others.

I also am located at a quiet location.  I have found that my transmit antenna
(a three element in-line parasitic vertical array towards Europe) receives
approximately the same as a one wavelength Beverage.  90% of the time
a 881' Beverage receives better than the vertical array.  Almost always my
phased (2 or 3) 881' Beverages receive better than the verticals...
I think that my transmit antenna has worked well, but that the mentioned
Beverages have worked better for receive.
I'm currently finishing rebuilding my top band transmit antenna. The driven
element was blown down by very strong winds this spring.  Two parasitic
elements (only one of the two used towards Europe) were damaged by the
same winds and had to be replaced.  The three new elements (a small
amount taller) are now up and waiting to be tuned.

73,  Bill     K0HA