Topband: Mark 5 clicks

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:10:06 -0500

Just for fun, I redid the click check on my Mark 5, trying to follow the
protocol  suggested by Earl, K6SE.  The test receiver is a TS-930 with
cascaded Inrad 400 Hz. filters.

Earl wrote "Before any mods, my FT-1000MP had klix on CW that extended out
at least
2.1 kHz.  I installed the INRAD keying improvement mod and that reduced the
klix to about 800 Hz.  Then I installed the W8JI key click mod and that
reduced the klix to about 300 Hz."

With the Mark 5 on 3505.0, and the test receiver tuned to 3505.0, the Mark
5's signal was S9.  Sending dots at roughly 20 WPM, I found that by 3505.4,
the clicks no longer deflected the S meter at all, although they were still
quite audible.  By 3505.8, the clicks were gone, although some phase
noise(?) could be heard if you listened closely.  That noise seems to
extend out another couple of kHz.

I'm not sure whether Earl meant that the unmodified MP's clicks were
audible for 2.1 kHz EITHER side of center, or total.  To the extent our two
measurements are comparable, even the more restrictive reading seems to
suggest that the Mark 5 is a little better.  Or is it?  Anyone else done
this on a Mark 5?

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower