Topband: Noise Cancelling Headphones

Geoff Cottrell geoff.cottrell@virgin.net
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:37:04 +0000

I have just taken delivery of a pair of BOSE noise cancelling
headphones as a self-Christmas present.  My intention was to use them
to listen to music during long boring airline trips or just cancel
the local sound environment for a bit of peace and quiet.

However, last night I used them for the first time in the shack for a
number of 160m qsos.  I must say that they very effectively remove
general background noise in the shack (e.g. rig fans, psu fans,
computer HD spinning noise, etc.) and allow you to concentrate much
better on weak signals.

Of course they do not remove the QRN/M but I found it certainly helps
with hearing.  I wonder if anyone has tried them in this context?

And no, in case you wondered, I don't work for the company!

A very Happy Christmas and a HNY to all topbanders