Topband: Shorty Beverage Follow-up

Larry Molitor w7iuv@earthlink.net
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 22:35:26 +0000

Last week I posted some questions about a shorty Beverage I was working on.
I would like to thank all those who responded, especially ON4UN and K9AY.

The consensus was interaction between the TX antenna system and the
Beverage. John, ON4UN, pointed to Figure 7-28 in his "Low Band DXing" book
as evidence. The arguments were/are very convincing and I don't disagree
with them. However, I am unable to prove interaction as I did with all the
other RX antennas I have constructed. To further muddy the waters, the
shorty actually works sometimes. It was the only antenna I was able to copy
(for 30 seconds) VP8GEO on last week.

In an effort to resolve this, I created an EZNEC model. To make a long
story short, I was unable to get the model to match what I had measured.
I'm sure that interaction is the problem, but am still unable to prove it
beyond all doubt.

I have put a short explanation, some data, and the EZNEC model file on my
web page for those who might like to take a look at it. It's all at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~w7iuv/w7iuv/bev2.htm

Please direct comments about the model, etc., to me directly and I'll
summarize here if it looks like it might be of further interest.

73,

Larry - W7IUV