Topband: Let's try stuff

Greg - ZL3IX zl3ix@inet.net.nz
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:41:59 +1300

> >  Perhaps that should read that my Vertical with its Compromise ground
system
> does not work as well as an Inv Vee.

Clive,

As I am sure you are aware, it's not only the close-in ground system that
affects the effectiveness of the vertical, but the conditions in the Fresnel
zone as well.  Most amateurs are not in a position to do anything about the
latter, as it is outside the boundaries of their property.  The soil
conductivity in WA is not terribly high, so the ground reflection will be
very different from that found in an area such as yours.

The other factor is the angle of dip of the Earth's magnetic field, which
affects polarisation coupling.  From what I remember, Steve is in an area
where the two polarisations are likely to couple equally well.

I know from past conversations with Steve that he has done all in his power
to increase the efficiency of his vertical.  All he is doing is reporting
his findings after those steps.  We all have to accept that a general rule
which works for most people, may not be universal.

73, Greg, ZL3IX (ex ZS5K)