Topband: Signal on 1952.250

Donald Chester k4kyv@hotmail.com
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 03:00:11

Does anyone know any details about the Radiolocation beacon on 1952.250 kHz?
  I am curious where it is located, how much power, what antenna, etc.  It
fades out completely here (in TN) during the day, but is usually very strong
at night.

There used to be about a half-dozen of these signals on the top half of the
band, shortly after the FCC re-allocated 1900-2000 to Radiolocation on a
primary basis (leaving amateurs "secondary" users). At the time I was afraid
we would eventually be pushed out of this section entirely as more beacons
on 1600-1700 kHz were "reaccomodated" to make room for the BC band
expansion.  But over the years, I noticed a gradual decline in the number of
these stations.  It finally got down to two, one on 1952.250 and the other a
few kHz higher.  A year or so ago, the higher freq. one disappeared, leaving
only that one audible here.  I occasionally hear a very weak one on about
1999 kHz.

I suspect the GPS sysetm has pretty much rendered 160M Radiolocation
obsolete, and hopefully the one on 1952.250 will also disappear eventually.
I still hear quite a few of them between 1700 and 1800, but that section is
not as congested with beacons as it was a few years ago.

73, Don K4KYV