Topband: Shunt fed verticals

Rudy Severns rudys@ordata.com
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:21:48 -0800

Hello,

    There is a classic paper on shunt fed verticals which is very
informative:

Morrison and Smith, The Shunt-Excited Antenna, IRE proceedings, June 1937,
pp. 673-696

They and other references point out a small distortion in the radiation
pattern but it is not serious for ham purposes.

    Some time back I ran a series of experiments and modeling of shunt fed
verticals.  I found that I could attach the shunt wire at a wide range of
points along the tower and by adjusting the wire length and the value of the
series capacitor, obtain a good match.  Nothing critical at all.  I did find
that the match bandwidth was wider when the length from the tower base to
the feed-point was roughly the same as the height of the attachment point on
the tower.  Tall-narrow (like a gamma match!) and low-narrow triangles gave
narrower match bandwidths.  At one point while fiddling around, I was able
to create a classic double-hump SWR curve that covered much of the 160 m
band. Basically I was tuning the matching network to a slightly different
frequency than the vertical.

A bit of this information is in the Spring 1997 Communications Quarterly,
page 37-38.

73, Rudy N6LF